Skip to main content



Energy Assistance Programs Help Lower Income Minnesotans Combat Winter

Monday, October 17, 2016


The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) is a federally funded program that provides a grant or credit on an account for struggling and lower income households who need help paying their home energy bills. The program's purpose is to help lower income households meet their immediate home energy needs. Qualified customers can get help paying for both winter heating bills and summer cooling bills.

EAP is available to both renters and homeowners, typically at or below 50 percent of the state median income level. Qualification is based on household size, income, etc. Applications for 2016 - 2017 benefits must be received by May 31, 2017. To learn more, visit the Minnesota Department of Commerce's website:

Reach Out for Warmth

For Minnesotans with slightly higher income, Reach Out for Warmth (ROFW) may be able to help. ROFW is a community-based emergency fuel fund that is a last resort for residents in crisis. Funds are donated from the community and granted from the State of Minnesota, local and federal government funds.

Donations to ROFW are tax deductible and all money raised in a given county will stay in that county to help local people who are struggling to keep their heat and lights on during the winter. ROFW has dozens of agencies that administer the program that can also provide support, referrals and can advise applicants on the options available to them. Call 1-800-657-3710 for more information or to apply.

Application Assistance

The Senior LinkAge Line® can help you apply for these programs 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday. They are your link to a local expert – finding services in your community, helping you with applications and forms, with Medicare and prescription drugs. Give them a call at 1-800-333-2433.