Catholic Charities of Southern MN
Guardianship and Conservatorship Program
Catholic Charities - Albert Lea
311 E Clark St, Albert Lea, MN, 56007
Distance: 1024 Miles
Guardians and conservators are appointed by the court. They are chosen to make personal or financial decisions for someone who has been judged as unable to make these decisions for themselves, due to illness or other conditions. They are responsible to make some or all personal decisions for an individual and/or the management of their estate.
When Catholic Charities is appointed guardian/conservator, they are empowered to care for and protect the rights of their clients including the prevention of abuse, exploitation, or self-neglect.
They exercise only those powers granted by the court that may include:
* Determining where the client lives and to make sure that his or her needs are being met including their care, comfort, and maintenance needs
* Taking reasonable care of and safeguarding the client' personal property
* Consenting to and monitoring medical treatment while keeping forefront the wishes of the client. This often includes accompanying the client to medical and/or therapy appointments.
* Advocating on behalf of the client for housing/living arrangements, employment and/or training. They do this while maximizing the client's independence in the least restrictive manner.
* Ensuring and applying on behalf of the ward for any assistance or benefits he or she is entitled to including Social Security, Veterans benefits, Medicare, and/or Medical Assistance
- Private pay
- Mental health
- Older adults
Elderly persons in need of services; mentally disabled and mentally ill on a private pay or county pay basis for eligible persons.
Services are open to all individuals regardless of faith, race, gender, disability or income.
Referrals can be made by physicians, attorneys, social workers, and other professionals. Concerned family members, friends, or the persons themselves can also contact Catholic Charities regarding their concerns.
Call for fees
Counseling hours are Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.
Freeborn County area
- Catholic Charities - Austin 430 10th St NE, Ste 3, Austin, MN, 55912
- Catholic Charities - Mankato (N Broad St) 201 N Broad St, Ste 100, Mankato, MN, 56001
- Catholic Charities - Rochester 903 W Center St, Ste 220, Rochester, MN, 55902
- Catholic Charities of Southern MN 111 Market St, Ste 2, Winona, MN, 55987
Other Services or resources
Taxonomy Terms Used: Clicking a taxonomy term from the list below launches a new search.
FT-6900.1500Conservatorship Assistance Definition
Programs that provide assistance for people who are in favor of or want to oppose the appointment of a conservator to protect adults from physical danger and improper treatment and/or to protect their estate from exploitation or waste when they are incapable of managing their own affairs or are competent but infirm. Conservatorships differ widely among jurisdictions. In some states, conservatorships are voluntary arrangements in which a physically infirm but competent individual petitions the court to appoint the conservator of choice to manage whatever powers and property the conservatee chooses to include in the arrangement. In these jurisdictions, guardianships apply to adults who are found to be incompetent. In other states, conservatorships apply only to an individual's property while guardianships address responsibility for the person. States having no conservatorship arrangements generally have guardianship provisions which address the needs of adults who have been found by the courts to be incapable of managing their own affairs.
FT-6900.2500Guardianship Assistance Definition
Programs that provide assistance for people who are in favor of or want to oppose the appointment of a guardian to care for and/or manage the affairs of a child or adolescent during minority (generally younger than age 18). In some states, particularly those with no arrangements for conservatorships, whose conservatorships are voluntary covering property and powers designated by the conservatee or whose conservatorships address only the individual's estate, guardianships may also apply to adults who have been found by the courts to be incapable of managing their own affairs.
PH-6500.0500-650Private Guardianship/Conservatorship Programs Definition
Private organizations that have been appointed by the court to act as legal guardians or conservators (depending on the state) of people who have been judged to be incompetent or gravely disabled due to Alzheimer's disease, alcoholism, mental illness or other incapacitating conditions and assume responsibility for the care and custody of the individuals and/or for the management of their estates.