Chippewa County Family Services
MnCHOICES Assessment and Support Planning
719 N 7th St, Ste 200, Montevideo, MN, 56265-1370
Distance: 1457 Miles
A tool that helps you, if you need support because of age or disability, to identify what is important to you and what is essential for you to continue to live in your home or community
These needs, preferences, and goals are used to develop a plan specifically for you. This is called a person-centered approach. The MnCHOICES assessment also helps determine your eligibility for publicly funded long-term services and supports.
Some important things to know are:
* There is no charge for this service
* It's for people of any age, every disability and all income levels
* You do not need to be on, or eligible for, public programs to have an assessment and get a plan
* The assessment can occur where you are, in your home, or the hospital or nursing home
* If you do not agree with the outcome, you have the right to appeal
The MnCHOICES assessment tool uses a person-centered approach to identify your strengths, preferences, goals and needs. The information is used to:
1. Develop a Community Support Plan (CSP) just for you. The CSP provides options to help you live with supports of your choice in your own home or other setting.
2. Find out if you are eligible for help through publicly funded programs and services.
3. Explain why you are, or are not, eligible for publicly funded services. It also helps you know what you may need to do to become eligible.
Only a MnCHOICES-Certified Assessor can use the assessment tool. Certified Assessors must meet education and experience requirements. They also must complete a training and certification process. After the assessment, the Certified Assessor shares with you your eligibility for programs and services and discusses with you the service and support options you can choose from, in order to meet your needs and goals. All choices are made by you and/or your representative.
MnCHOICES finds if you can be eligible for publicly funded long-term services and supports such as:
* Alternative Care (AC) Program
* Brain Injury (BI) Waiver
* Community Alternative Care (CAC) Waiver
* Community Access for Disability Inclusion (CADI) Waiver (formerly Community Alternatives for Disabled Individuals Waiver)
* Consumer Support Grant (CSG)
* Developmental Disability (DD) Waiver
* Elderly Waiver (EW)
* Essential Community Supports (ECS)
* Personal Care Assistance (PCA)
* Semi-Independent Living Services (SILS)
For more information about MnCHOICES go to
* MnCHOICES Department of Human Services webpage: https://mn.gov/dhs/partners-and-providers/news-initiatives-reports-workgroups/long-term-services-and-supports/mnchoices
* Take the first step to get services to stay home: https://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserver/Public/DHS-7283A-ENG
* What you can expect with a MnCHOICES Assessment: https://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserver/Public/DHS-7283B-ENG
People in Minnesota of all ages and any disability who:
* Need help with daily activities like dressing, taking a bath or shower or doing housework
* May need help with ongoing health care needs or behavior and
* Are willing to have an assessment and receive a plan
Call your county or tribal office.
There is no fee for this service.
8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday - Friday
|Toll Free||(877) 450-6401|
This provider does not offer this service at other locations.
Other Services or resources
- Adult Foster Care (AFC) and Community Residential Setting (CRS) Licensing
- Adult Protective Services (APS)
- Apply for Waiver Programs
- Child Foster Care (CFC) Licensing
- Child Protective Services (CPS)
- Child Support Services (CSS)
- County Programs for Families
- County Programs for Food Support
- County Programs for Health Care Financial Assistance
- County Programs for Income Assistance
- County Programs for People with Disabilities
- Emergency Assistance
- Family Child Care (FCC) Licensing
- Family Support Grant (FSG)
- Housing Support
- Mental Health Services for Adults and Children
- Substance Abuse Treatment
- Support Group - Caregivers
Taxonomy Terms Used: Clicking a taxonomy term from the list below launches a new search.
LF-4900.2050Geriatric Assessment Definition
Programs, generally staffed by an interdisciplinary team comprising a geriatrician, a nurse, a social worker and a pharmacist, that evaluate the functional ability, physical health, cognitive and mental health and socioenvironmental situation of older adults, particular those who are frail or chronically ill, to identify health-related problems, develop plans for treatment and follow-up, coordinate care, determine the need for long-term care, and ensure the optimal use of health care resources. Beneficial outcomes may include greater diagnostic accuracy, improved functional and mental status, reduced mortality, decreased use of nursing facilities and acute care hospitals and increased satisfaction with care.
NL-5000.6500Nursing Home Transition Financing Programs Definition
Programs that are designed to assist institutionalized residents, or those about to be discharged from a hospital to a nursing home, to return to the community to live in a less restrictive setting. Some transition programs are funded using Medicaid and therefore require that eligible participants be Medicaid recipients. Other programs have been created using state or local funds. The programs typically provide case management and, unless other funding sources are available, provide funding for and link program participants to existing home and community based services, home modification programs, assistive technology equipment, assisted living facilities or other supported housing options and/or other needed services.