Goodhue County Health and Human Services
Family Support Grant (FSG)
426 West Ave, Red Wing, MN, 55066
Distance: 1082 Miles
The Family Support Grant (FSG) is a state program that helps families of children and young adults with disabilities to pay for disability-related items and services. The goal is to promote family well-being and to prevent the child having to move out of their home. The money can be used for disability-specific costs that are not covered by any insurance (state or private insurance).
Examples of how the money may be used include:
* Day care
* Educational services not already covered by the Department of Education
* Medical costs not covered by insurance
* Medications not covered by insurance
* Supports in acquiring employment
* Respite care services
* Specialized clothing
* Specialized dietary needs
* Specialized equipment, which may include home or vehicle modifications
* Transportation specific to disability
* Families of children with a certified disability, under age 25 years, living in their biological or adoptive home
* Children currently residing in a facility who would return to their family home if a grant were awarded
* Family annual adjusted gross income must be under $109,752 unless where extreme hardship is demonstrated
* The child cannot be on a Waiver Program, get Personal Care Assistance (PCA) services or the Consumer Support Grant (CSG). Eligible families can get the FSG while on a waiting list for a waiver.
* Families must apply for the grant (it is not automatic)
* Funding is limited, so there may be a waiting list
Contact the local social service office with questions about the Family Support Grant (FSG).
* Apply at the county or tribal human services office or contact the Disability Linkage Line at (866) 333-2466
* Families will need to show proof of:
- Certification as disabled by Social Security or the State Medical Review Team (SMRT)
- Family income
- Make a budget of the costs that the family plans to use the grant for, with proof of how the need is disability-related
8:00am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday
This provider does not offer this service at other locations.
Other Services or resources
- Adult Foster Care (AFC) and Community Residential Setting (CRS) Licensing
- Adult Protective Services (APS)
- Apply for Waiver Programs
- Community Support Program
- Consumer Support Grant (CSG) Program
- County Programs for Families
- County Programs for Food Support
- County Programs for Health Care Financial Assistance
- County Programs for Income Assistance
- County Programs for People with Disabilities
- Emergency Assistance
- Find Substance Use Disorder Treatment
- Housing Support
- MnCHOICES Assessment and Support Planning
- Public Health Clinic
- WIC - Supplemental Nutrition Program
Taxonomy Terms Used: Clicking a taxonomy term from the list below launches a new search.
BT-8300Transportation Expense Assistance Definition
Programs that provide immediate cash, bus tokens, loans, loan/insurance payment support or other forms of financial assistance for people who otherwise have no means of transportation. Transportation expense assistance programs may have age, income, disability, need or other eligibility requirements.
LH-0650.0700-015Assistive Technology Equipment Acquisition Assistance Definition
Programs that pay all or a portion of the costs associated with purchasing, leasing or otherwise acquiring assistive technology equipment. Included are programs that pay for needed assistive technology products outright and those that provide or arrange for interest-free, low-interest or market rate loans to finance the lease/purchase.
LH-5100.3300Incidental Medical Expense Assistance Definition
Programs that provide financial assistance that helps individuals who have a designated health condition or disability or require an operation such as a transplant pay for non-medical but related expenses, which may include travel expenses to and from treatment, home or housing costs, child care expenses or other related costs. Incidental medical expense assistance programs may have age, income, disability, need or other eligibility requirements.
LH-5100.5000Medical Care Expense Assistance Definition
Programs that pay the hospital bills, doctor bills, rehabilitation service bills, laboratory expenses or other health care expenses of people who are unable to obtain necessary health care without assistance. Also included are programs that provide vouchers which enable eligible individuals to obtain medical care. Medical bill payment assistance programs may have age, income, disability, need or other eligibility requirements.
NL-3000.7000Respite Care Subsidies Definition
Programs that cover all or a portion of the cost of respite care in the home or in community settings/facilities in situations where family members, guardians or others who are the regular caregivers for dependent adults or children with disabilities need a brief period of rest or relief from their care giving responsibilities. Families generally select their own provider, negotiate their own rates and set their own schedules.
YJ-8750.1500Children and Youth With Disabilities/Health Conditions Definition
Children and adolescents who have physical, sensory, developmental, cognitive, mental or emotional limitations, illnesses or injuries that affect their performance in school and their ability to engage in one or more major life activities.