Lake County Health and Human Services
Adult Protective Services (APS)
Lake County Health and Human Services - Silver Bay
99 Edison Blvd, Silver Bay, MN, 55614
Distance: 1042 Miles
Report suspected maltreatment of vulnerable adults to the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center: (844) 880-1574
A vulnerable adult can be anyone over age 18 who:
* Has a physical, mental or emotional impairment that makes it difficult for the person to care for themselves without help and to protect themselves from maltreatment
* Is in a hospital, nursing home, transitional care unit, assisted living, housing with services, board and care, foster care or other licensed care facility
* Receives services such as home care, day services, personal care assistance or other licensed service
* Abuse, including physical, emotional and sexual abuse, use of restraints, involuntary seclusion or punishment
* Neglect, including failure to provide necessary food, shelter, clothing, health care or supervision because of neglect by a caregiver or because the vulnerable adult cannot meet their own needs
* Financial exploitation, including theft or withholding of money or property and/or use of money or property not for the vulnerable adult's benefit
Adult Protective Services assess needs and provide emergency and continuing services to safeguard the welfare of vulnerable adults. Examples of adult protection activities include assisting the vulnerable adult to move, apply for social or financial services, or initiate proceedings related to guardianship or conservatorship.
County Adult Protective Services agencies investigate reports of maltreatment of vulnerable adults when the suspect is a family member, friend, or stranger not related to a program or service licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health or the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS).
- 24 hours a day
- Adults with disabilities
- Older adults
- Older adults with disabilities
There is no fee for this service.
8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday - Friday
- Lake County Health and Human Services - Two Harbors 616 3rd Ave, Two Harbors, MN, 55616
Other Services or resources
- Adult Foster Care (AFC) and Community Residential Setting (CRS) Licensing
- Apply for Waiver Programs
- County Programs for Families
- County Programs for Food Support
- County Programs for Income Assistance
- County Programs for People with Disabilities
- Emergency Assistance
- Family Support Grant (FSG)
- Find Substance Use Disorder Treatment
- Housing Support
- Mental Health Case Management
- MnCHOICES Assessment and Support Planning
- Public Health Clinic
Taxonomy Terms Used: Clicking a taxonomy term from the list below launches a new search.
PH-6500.0500-050Adult Protective Intervention/Investigation Definition
Social services programs provided by state and/or local governments that evaluate reports from friends, neighbors or others who are concerned about the welfare of an older adult or person with a disability who may be unable to act on their own behalf, manage their own affairs or are in immediate danger due to physical or emotional abuse, unsafe or hazardous living conditions, exploitation, neglect, self-neglect or abandonment. If the situation meets the criteria for intervention, an APS worker will initiate face-to-face contact with the individual, assess their situation for safety and need for assistance, and determine what services, if any, would be beneficial to maintain his/her well-being and independence. Services may include removal of the individual to safer surroundings, authorization for medical treatment and other available services that may be necessary to remove the conditions which have created a threat. Every state has its own distinct APS system and programs which vary in terms of populations served, services provided and scope of the program; and while APS workers help thousands of vulnerable adults every day, individuals always have the right to decline assistance.