Minnesota State Services for the Blind (SSB)
Information and Support - Older Adults with Vision Loss
607 W Main St, Lyon County Courthouse, Marshall, MN, 56258
Distance: 255 Miles
Learn more about a specific topic and how to connect to additional resources and services.
Offers counseling, training and referrals to help seniors find ways to adapt to changes in their vision and improve their quality of life and their ability to live independently.
* Low vision aids and other adaptive devices
* Adjustment to Blindness Skill training
* Training in daily living skills
* Access to the Radio Talking Book
* Access to books and other print material in alternative formats
- Assistance with community resources
- Blind or visually impaired
- Older adults
- Older adults with disabilities
* No specific eligibility requirements other than the client reporting functional difficulties because of their vision loss
* Some services require the client to have a certain degree of vision loss as per an ophthalmological report
* Many have age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma or other conditions that are a common part of aging.
|Toll Free||(800) 366-4813|
- Bemidji Office 616 America Ave NW, Ste 230, Bemidji, MN, 56601
- Brainerd Office 204 Laurel St, Ste 21, Brainerd, MN, 56401
- Duluth Office 402 W 1st St, Duluth, MN, 55802
- Fergus Falls Office 1414 College Way, Ste L180, Fergus Falls, MN, 56537
- Hibbing Office 3920 13th Ave E, Hibbing, MN, 55746
- Hutchinson Office 2 Century Ave SE, Rm 405, Hutchinson, MN, 55350
- Mankato Office 12 Civic Center Plz, Ste 1600B, Mankato, MN, 56001
- Rochester Office 2070 College View Rd E, Rochester, MN, 55904
- St. Cloud Office 1542 Northway Dr, Door 2, St. Cloud, MN, 56303
- State Services for the Blind Main Office 2200 University Ave W, Ste 240, St. Paul, MN, 55114
- West St. Paul Office 1 Mendota Rd W, Ste 170, West St. Paul, MN, 55118
Other Services or resources
Taxonomy Terms Used: Clicking a taxonomy term from the list below launches a new search.
TJ-3000.8000Specialized Information and Referral Definition
Programs that maintain information about community resources that are appropriate for a specific target group or human services sector (for example, youth programs or addiction services) and which link individuals who are in need of specialized services with appropriate resources and/or which provide information about community agencies and organizations that offer specialized services.
YB-8000Older Adults Definition
Individuals who are age 50, 55, 60, 62 or 65 or older depending on the minimum age for qualifying as an older adult which varies by program.
YF-3000.2450-100Blind Diabetics Definition
A condition in which an individual with diabetes has developed blindness as a result of diabetic retinopathy.
A disease of the eye that is characterized by an increase in intraocular pressure which results in atrophy of the optic nerve and possibly blindness.
YF-3000.4860Macular Degeneration Definition
A progressive disorder that affects the central part of the retina causing gradual loss of vision. Macular degeneration is a painless condition that is fairly common in people who are elderly. It generally affects both eyes, either simultaneously or one after the other.
A condition in which affected individuals are totally blind and cannot see or are legally blind and have central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with maximal correction, or a peripheral field of vision that is so contracted that its widest diameter subtends an angle no greater than 20 degrees.
YF-9000.6500Partial Sightedness Definition
A condition in which affected individuals have remaining visual acuity between 20/200 and 20/70 in the better eye with maximal correction.