Minnesota State Services for the Blind (SSB)
Vision Loss Services
12 Civic Center Plz, Ste 1600B, Mankato, MN, 56001
Distance: 953 Miles
Blind or visually impaired support services involve direct support to people who are blind, deaf-blind, or those with low vision. Program focuses on teaching Independent Living Skills (ILS) to people with a visual impairment.
Offers help to individuals who have new blindness. deaf-blindness or visual disabilities. Adjustment to Blindness Training refers to training opportunities which teach an individual with a vision loss the skills necessary to work competitively and live independently.
* Skills to help you travel and get where you need to go
* Learning to access printed materials with computer equipment and/or braille
* Tools and techniques to take on all the challenges of daily life
* Gaining confidence to live successfully and pursue personal and professional goals
- Assistance with community resources
- Blind or visually impaired
South Central Minnesota
|Toll Free||(800) 657-3821|
- Bemidji Office 616 America Ave NW, Ste 230, Bemidji, MN, 56601
- Brainerd Office 204 Laurel St, Ste 21, Brainerd, MN, 56401
- Duluth Office 402 W 1st St, Duluth, MN, 55802
- Fergus Falls Office 1414 College Way, Ste L180, Fergus Falls, MN, 56537
- Hibbing Office 3920 13th Ave E, Hibbing, MN, 55746
- Hutchinson Office 2 Century Ave SE, Rm 405, Hutchinson, MN, 55350
- Marshall Office 607 W Main St, Lyon County Courthouse, Marshall, MN, 56258
- Rochester Office 2070 College View Rd E, Rochester, MN, 55904
- St. Cloud Office 1542 Northway Dr, Door 2, St. Cloud, MN, 56303
- State Services for the Blind Main Office 2200 University Ave W, Ste 240, St. Paul, MN, 55114
- West St. Paul Office 1 Mendota Rd W, Ste 170, West St. Paul, MN, 55118
Other Services or resources
Taxonomy Terms Used: Clicking a taxonomy term from the list below launches a new search.
LR-1000Braille Instruction Definition
Programs that teach people who are blind and other interested individuals to read and write using Braille, a system that uses raised dots to represent numerals and letters of the alphabet which can be identified by the fingers.
LR-3200Independent Living Skills Instruction Definition
Programs that assist people who have disabilities to learn the basic skills of daily living through individual and group counseling and instruction, experience and practice in coping with real or simulated life situational demands; or through the use of assistive devices, special equipment and specialized assistants. Services include but are not limited to training in the ability to travel about the community alone; to live independently in a private residence; to maintain health through self-care and use of medical services; to live within personal income; to maintain acceptable grooming and appearance; to deal with legal, family or social problems; and to cope with other requirements for successful independent living.
LR-6400Orientation and Mobility Training Definition
Programs that help people who are blind or who have visual impairments develop the fundamental spatial concepts and skills that are necessary for maximum mobility and independent living. Instruction focuses on moving safely and purposefully in the school, home or community environment; and usually includes procedures for street crossings, travel in unfamiliar areas, utilization of public transportation, and appropriate use of aids such as sighted guides or canes. Training for persons who want to acquire the skills to be a sighted guide may also be provided.
A disability that is characterized by a combination of hearing and visual impairments.
A condition in which affected individuals are totally blind and cannot see or are legally blind and have central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye with maximal correction, or a peripheral field of vision that is so contracted that its widest diameter subtends an angle no greater than 20 degrees.
YF-9000.6500Partial Sightedness Definition
A condition in which affected individuals have remaining visual acuity between 20/200 and 20/70 in the better eye with maximal correction.
YZ-1700Disabilities Issues Definition
Programs that provide information and/or services that deal with the topic of disabilities.