Skip to main content

SMILES Center for Independent Living (SMILES CIL)

Personal Care Assistant (PCA)

SMILES Mankato Office

709 S Front St, Ste 7, Mankato, MN, 56001-3887

Distance: 1019 Miles

(507) 345-7139


Travel Information: From 169 Northbound through Mankato, take the Riverfront exit, follow Riverfront to Front Street, location on right side of road. From 169 Southbound, take the downtown exit, follow south Second Street to Liberty, turn right and immediate left into parking lot.

Service Details


A Personal Care Assistant (PCA) is a trained worker who helps people that need support to take care of their day-to-day activities and who are on a state program (Medical Assistance, waiver programs, or Alternative Care). Personal assistance services help individuals live and work within their own communities. PCAs help people who need support to take care of daily living needs because of disease, a disabling condition, or complications related to aging.

Personal care assistance services must be deemed medically necessary as determined by an assessment. The assessment must find that the person needs help to complete at least one of eight activities of daily living or exhibit Level 1 behavior.

The four categories of services that a person can receive assistance in are:

* Activities of Daily Living: eating, toileting, grooming, dressing, bathing, transferring (such as getting in and out of bed), mobility, and positioning
* Health-related functions, which, under state law, can be delegated or assigned by a licensed health care professional to be performed by a PCA
* Instrumental Activities of Daily Living: meal planning and preparation, managing finances, shopping for essential items, performing essential household chores, communication by telephone and other media, and participating in the community
* Redirection and intervention for behavior including observation and monitoring

If you are enrolled in Medical Assistance, a waiver program, or Alternative Care, there are two possible ways that you may receive PCA services in Minnesota:
* You may select an individual worker (where you are responsible for hiring, supervising and firing)
* You may hire a home care agency who selects and oversees your worker

If you choose to hire your own workers, you will also choose a PCA Choice provider (usually a home health agency) as a fiscal intermediary. The PCA Choice provider is responsible for billing the Department of Human Services (DHS) for PCA services and paying your PCA workers.

If you want to find direct support workers who may be able to assist you, go to Direct Support Connect[TM]. You'll be able to create a profile about your needs and interests, search for direct support workers, and connect securely within the site. If you are a direct support worker looking for a person/employer to support, you can also create a profile and do a search.

Additional Information

Southern Minnesota Independent Living Enterprises and Services (SMILES) Center for Independent Living is a nonprofit organization committed to providing services that assist individuals with disabilities to live independently, pursue their own meaningful goals, and enjoy the same opportunities and choices as all persons.

Learn more about the Independent Living philosophy at:


  • Payment
    • Alternative Care Waiver (AC) 
    • Brain Injury Waiver (BI) 
    • Community Access for Disability Inclusion Waiver (CADI) 
    • Community Alternative Care (CAC) Waiver 
    • Developmental Disabilities Waiver (DD) 
    • Elderly Waiver (EW) 
    • Medicaid (Medical Assistance) 


* Be eligible to receive Medical Assistance (MA) or Medical Assistance for pregnant women and children
* Be able to make decisions about your own care or have someone who can make decisions for you
* Be dependent in at least one activity of daily living or exhibit Level 1 behavior within the last year, as determined by the assessment

Area Served

Blue Earth, Brown, Faribault, Le Sueur, Martin, Nicollet, Sibley, Waseca, and Watonwan Counties


Phone Numbers

Type Number Hours
Main (507) 345-7139
FAX (507) 345-8429
Toll Free (888) 676-6498

Last Update


Other Locations

This provider does not offer this service at other locations.

Taxonomy Terms Used. Clicking a taxonomy term from the list below launches a new search.: Clicking a taxonomy term from the list below launches a new search.