Southeastern Minnesota Center For Independent Living (SEMCIL)
Personal Care Assistant (PCA) Choice
SEMCIL - Rochester Office
2200 2nd St SW, Rochester, MN, 55902
Distance: 1004 Miles
This agency may act as a fiscal intermediary for the Personal Care Assistant (PCA) Choice program. PCA Choice is a service option for people receiving PCA services through Medical Assistance (MA), MA waiver programs or the Alternative Care program. If electing to use this option, the person receiving the services hires their own personal care workers and directs their own care. In order to participate, the care recipient (or a responsible party) must designate a PCA Choice Agency to act as a fiscal intermediary. The fiscal intermediary takes care of billing the Department of Human Services (DHS) for the PCA services and paying the PCA.
A PCA is a trained worker who helps people that need support to take care of their day-to-day activities and who are on a state program (Medical Assistance, MA waiver programs, or Alternative Care). Personal assistance services help individuals live and work within their own communities. PCAs assist people who need support to take care of daily living needs because of disease, a disabling condition, or complications related to aging.
Under the PCA Choice Option, the care recipient is responsible for:
* Entering into a written agreement with the PCA Choice agency
* Finding, hiring/firing and training PCA staff
* Developing a care plan, with help from qualified professional if needed
* Monitoring and evaluating PCA staff
* Providing back-up PCA staff
* Scheduling PCAs
* Supervising PCA staff
The PCA Choice Agency (fiscal intermediary) is responsible for:
* Applying for the criminal check for PCA staff and qualified professional
* Enrolling PCA staff with DHS
* Billing for PCA and qualified professional services
* Maintaining the required liability insurance for PCAs and qualified professionals
* Maintaining the written agreements for all PCA staff, qualified professionals, and responsible parties
* Paying and withholding taxes for PCA staff and the qualified professional
If you want to find direct support workers who may be able to assist you, go to Direct Support Connect[TM]. You'll be able to create a profile about your needs and interests, search for direct support workers, and connect securely within the site. If you are a direct support worker looking for a person/employer to support, you can also create a profile and do a search.
- Alternative Care Waiver (AC)
- Brain Injury Waiver (BI)
- Community Access for Disability Inclusion Waiver (CADI)
- Community Alternative Care (CAC) Waiver
- Developmental Disabilities Waiver (DD)
- Elderly Waiver (EW)
- Medicaid (Medical Assistance)
* Be eligible to receive Medical Assistance or Medical Assistance pregnant women and children
* Be able to manage hiring, training and firing employees or have someone who can make those decisions for them
* Be dependent in at least one activity of daily living or exhibit Level 1 behavior within the last year, as determined by the assessment
8:00am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday
Dodge, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Mower, Olmsted, Rice, Steele, Wabasha, and Winona counties
Disability Hub MN serves statewide - this center takes calls from:
Blue Earth, Brown, Cottonwood, Dodge, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Jackson, Le Sueur, Lincoln, Lyon, McLeod, Martin, Mower, Murray, Nicollet, Nobles, Olmsted, Pipestone, Redwood, Renville, Rice, Rock, Sibley, Steele, Wabasha, Waseca, Watonwan, Winona, and Yellow Medicine counties
|Disability Hub MN||(866) 333-2466|
|Toll Free||(888) 460-1815|
This provider does not offer this service at other locations.
Other Services or resources
- Activities for People with Disabilities
- Adult Companion Services
- Advocacy - Disabilities
- Assistive Technology
- Consumer Directed Community Supports (CDCS) Support Planner
- Disability Benefits 101 (www.mn.DB101.org)
- Disability Hub MN
- Employment Support for Workers with Disabilities
- Environmental Accessibility Adaptations (EAA) Home Assessment
- Environmental Accessibility Adaptations (EAA) Home Modification
- Home Accessibility Modification
- Homemaker Services
- Independent Living Skills (ILS) Training
- In-Home Family Support
- Nursing Home / Institution Relocation Services
- Peer Mentor Services
- Personal Care Assistant (PCA)
- Personal Support
- School to Adult Life Transition
- Semi-Independent Living Services (SILS)
- Social Security Advocacy Services
- Supported Living Services (SLS)
- Veteran Services Program
- Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Community Partner
Taxonomy Terms Used: Clicking a taxonomy term from the list below launches a new search.
LR-1550Centers for Independent Living Definition
Consumer controlled, community based, cross disability, nonresidential agencies designed and operated within a local community by individuals with disabilities that provide an array of independent living services. All CILs provide five core services: information and referral, independent living skills training, peer counseling, individual and systems advocacy and transition. In addition, many CILs also offer transportation services, mobility training, personal assistance, housing and home modifications, recreation services, vocational programs, assistance in obtaining assistive technology equipment and other individualized services designed to increase and maintain independence.
PH-3300.6500Personal Care Definition
Programs that offer the services of paraprofessional aides who provide assistance with personal hygiene (bathing, grooming and mouth care), clothing care, ambulation, seating, toileting, housekeeping (changing bed linens or other chores that are essential to the individual's health and comfort), food preparation and nutritional and environmental support for recently discharged hospital patients, elderly people and people with disabilities in their own homes or other settings. Personal care may also include supervision which involves cueing, reminding, prompting or directing daily activities, as needed, but does not include medical services.
YJ-8750People With Disabilities/Health Conditions Definition
Individuals who have physical, sensory, developmental, cognitive, mental or emotional limitations, illnesses or injuries that affect their ability to engage in one or more major life activities. Disabilities and health conditions may be temporary or permanent, may be present at birth or occur at any point in a person's lifetime, and can be of different levels of severity.
YQ-1500Consumer Directed Organizational Perspective Definition
Organizations and individual practitioners who offer maximum choice and control (including the ability to select, manage and dismiss their workers) to people who use services or other supports to help with daily activities.